Single Mother - My Choice


How to Find Help with Rent for Single Moms

In this economy, it's hard enough to raise kids in a two-parent family. If you are a single mother, all the pressure is squarely on your shoulders. You don't have the luxury of having a partner to help you pay the bills. On top of working a full time job and being the sole provider for your kids, you may also be dealing with other issues as well, such as hunting down a deadbeat boyfriend for child support or going through a divorce. These things are hard, and you need all the help you can get to handle some of your problems. Rent can be one of the hardest things to scrape together money for, but there are several programs that you should know about which specially talk about how to get State Assistance.

  • Help with Rent for Single MomsGovernment Grants One the most widely available options that offers single moms help with their rent is government grants. Unbelievably, the government does realize how hard it is for people to get by, single moms in particular. To combat this epidemic, the government provides several options for you by way of grants.Grants are free money. You can apply for grants that specifically help with rent for single parents. In order to apply for grants to help pay your rent, visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's web portal to find out if you qualify, as well as to learn how you can apply.
  • Local Public Housing AgencyPublic Housing Agency Another government agency that can help with rent for single moms is your local Public Housing Agency (PHA). There are offices near you, and they are responsible for assisting people who are looking for a better place to live, as well as people who need help paying their housing bills. The first question that probably crossed your mind is, "How much help can I possibly get?" With this program, the answer depends primarily on your income. If you qualify, no more than 30% of your income will go towards paying rent. You will still pay for some of the amount of your rent each month, but the PHA will pay for most of it. The agency pays your landlord directly on your behalf, and you are responsible for the remainder. This kind of rental assistance for Single Mothers is sure to alleviate their current state.
  • Non-Profit OrganizationsNon-Profit Organizations Aside from the government, many non-profit organizations also help with rent for single parents. You will be surprised how easy it is to find them, and how many out there are willing to help. For example, the Salvation Army is a great place to start. You can also contact your local chapter of the YWCA. These are just two examples of many organizations that may be able to help you. To find out more, pick up your phone and dial 2-1-1. Ask the responder what options for rental assistance exist in your community and then contact each one directly.You can also do some research online to find out what options you have locally. Websites such as have databases of thousands of programs nationwide that can help you pay for your rent. Also you can avail personal grants for Single Mothers which are also available across states.