Single Mother - My Choice


How to Get College Grants for Single Mothers to finish your Education

Are you a single mother who hates her dead-end job? Do you have the desire to return to school to finish your degree, so you can get that pay raise, but don't know where to start? The world of college grants for single mothers is challenging. There is too much information to sift through in order to find what you need - to make your dreams a reality – and honestly who has the time to do the research when you need to get food on the table?

This article will help you navigate through the process. If you commit just a little time to gather the materials you need and find the right people to talk to, you can qualify for single mother grants for college and enroll in school without having to worry about how you will pay your bills. Also our books section which has some great reviews like for Devotions by Carol Floch, can be a great reference point if you are looking for a holistic change in your outlook. So it’s not really Where Can I Get Financial Assistance but really being at the right place at the right time.

Federal Single Mother Grants for College

College Grants for Single MothersFederal grants for single mothers for college are, in essence, loans that you do not have to repay. All you must do is to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the U.S. Department of Education's website and you are in business. The federal government will tell you what grants you qualify for - based on your income and marital status. Chances are, you will qualify for something.

  • Federal Pell Grants

Federal Pells Grant You will most likely qualify for this grant unless you already have a substantial income. The amount of money you can expect to receive from a Federal Pell Grant for the school year of 2011-2012 is $5,550.

The idea of the program is government assistance for low-income students. This is to encourage the idea of universal access to a college education. The amount of money you receive is contingent upon your expected family contribution (EFC) as a student and your enrollment status at the time of the award.

  • TEACH Grant

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher EducationIf you plan on going into teaching, you may also qualify for a Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant. Congress started the grant as a part of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007.

You may get up to $4000 per academic year if you agree to teach for a period in a low-income area after you graduate. After you have filed your FAFSA, your academic advisor can help you find out if the TEACH Grant program is right for you.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity GrantThe Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is another federal program that offers financial assistance to low-income students. You can use it in conjunction with a Federal Pell Grant, and the amount ranges from $100 to $4000 depending on your needs.

The amount you may receive from a FSEOG varies depending on the EFC that you report on your FAFSA. This is why reporting your income accurately and completely is so important when filling out your FAFSA each year.

Private Single Mother Grants for College

After you have maxed out your federal options for college grants for single mothers, look for private grants to fill in the gaps, so you don't have to take out hefty student loans while in school. You must actively apply for private grants; the federal government will not do this for you.

  • Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund (ASPSF)

Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship FundThe Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund (ASPSF) is a program designed to provide financial assistance for emergencies that may arise while a single parent is in school. Oftentimes, single parents encounter situations that render them unable to continue their education. This fund works to fill in the financial gaps that remain - after you have exhausted your Federal Pell Grants and other government aid options.

Although this program is only available in Independence County, Arkansas, similar programs exist around the United States with the same goal as the ASPSF. To find grants like the ASPSF in your area, contact your university's department of financial aid and ask about your options.

  • Ronald Reagan College Leaders Scholarship Program

Ronald Reagan College Leaders ScholarshipThe Phillips Foundation offers scholarships and grants for college. The organization's mission is to promote a democratic society and they award based upon applicant's ability to prove that they have leadership qualities and believe strongly in the American ideal.

The Ronald Reagan College Leaders Scholarship Program is designed to seek out candidates with strong American values. This is a great opportunity for single moms because the Phillips Foundation awards this particular money to students who demonstrate an exceptional financial need. Even in states like Hawaii, there are programs for Help for Single Mothers in Hawaii which also have college grants figured in.