Single Mother - My Choice


Your One-Stop Guide to Housing Grants for Single Mothers

If you are a single mom, keeping a roof over your kids' heads is likely to be your number one priority. Most single mothers rent, and the flailing housing market has scared off many who were thinking about buying a house in the future.

If you are like many single moms out there who have given up on home ownership entirely, then you need to read on.

Buying a house is easier than ever for a single mom. Yes, you heard that right. Housing grants for single mothers have made the process affordable, and many state and federal programs even guide you through the process of securing funding and buying your home.

Housing Grants for Single MothersEven if you are in school and you choose to rent, you can qualify for housing grants for single mothers. You can receive grants for housing while in school, and the government will help you pay your rent so that you can finish your education.

Housing Grants: Where to Go First

If you are searching for money to buy a house, or if you need rental assistance, the first place you need to go is your state's Housing Authority. Make an appointment to speak to a worker at the agency, and find out about the programs available to you and your family. At your appointment, make sure to ask about grant programs for any of the following, depending upon your personal situation:

  • Housing GrantsBuying a home
  • Rental assistance
  • Rehabilitating a run-down property
  • Building an affordable house

If you would like to seek federal assistance, visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's website and review your options. If you feel that your appointment with your state's Housing Authority did not give you the information you need, HUD can help you determine what to do next. Also if you are looking for state specific help like Help for Single Mothers in Kansas, our state section can be of good help for you.

Home Grants for Single Moms

You will be surprised when you discover everything available to you, and some of the programs out there include:

  • HOME Investment Partnerships Program

Home Investment Partnership ProgramThe HOME program is a federal block grant that provides money to states and nonprofit agencies. This money is used to create affordable housing for low-income populations such as single moms. The HOME Investment Partnerships Program allows states and nonprofit agencies to buy and build affordable housing for people. The HOME program also allows agencies to help rehabilitate run-down properties when low-income individuals cannot afford the upkeep on their own. This is one of the ways of single mother housing assistance.

This program is especially useful for single moms who have gone through a divorce and retained custody of their primary residence. Many times, the loss of income makes it hard for newly divorced women to maintain their property and home loans while keeping up with other financial responsibilities necessary to keep their family afloat. However Government Housing Loans for Single Moms may be something that can help you out.

  • Multifamily Bond Programs

Multifamily Bond ProgramsAlmost every U.S. state offers a Multifamily Bond Program. The programs provide affordable housing for low-income families. Multifamily Bond Programs work by issuing tax-exempt bonds to help with mortgages, so low-income families can afford to buy a house, build one, or fix up a property in a state of disrepair. Many recipients choose to combine this program with housing credits issued by their state of residence.